TechWorks Coding Courses
TechWorks offers Coding Courses in partnership with Gaston College, UNC Charlotte, Tech Talent South, and Goodwill University.
Flashlight Circuits @ TechWorks
offered on July 13 and Aug 10.
Time: 8:30 am to 9:00 am Registration and Continental Breakfast (includes Coffee for parents!)
9:00 am to 11:00 am Workshop
11:00 am to Noon Instructor available to provide any additional help or training needed.
This course is being offered FREE of charge thanks to the generosity of a TechWorks Board Member!
Based on a lesson by the MIT Edgerton Center
For original resources: http://edgerton.mit.edu/k-12/flashlight-building
Students will learn how to strip wires, solder, create circuits, and use electrical schematics.
As a student at MIT, our instructor Morgan had the opportunity to teach with the MIT Edgerton Center. Every weekday, she had classes of 4th-8th grade students come to MIT on field trips for hands-on mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, and science experiences. Despite being a mechanical engineer, one of her favorite lessons to teach was the flashlight building course.
Why? Because students left the class with a flashlight they had designed and built themselves!
First, we start by taking apart store-bought flashlights and understanding the components and how they work.
Then, we translate the components of the store-bought flashlights into the components we will use for the lesson
We work through assembling the flashlight
We learn the schematic language used for electrical components
We decorate and test the flashlight
Edgerton Center student worksheet:
Edgerton Center teacher’s guide:
- 16-week Mobile App Course, in partnership with UNC Charlotte, scheduled for 2019
- “Personal Security in a Digital World” workshop series, April 23 – May 7, Focused on Identity Theft, Internet Security, and Social Media Security
- 8-week IT Network 101 Course, October 22 – December 19, offered for free to 15 students. Can test for Cisco Certification upon completion. Instruction provided by Austin Lutz.
- Free Girl Coder Days in Gaston, for ages 8-14. Fun and creative activities for girls to make cool things with tech skills.
- Rock Paper Scissors, October 20, 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM
- JewelBots, October 27, 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM
- 8-week Web Dev Course, graduated 10 with 5 TechWorks scholarships
- 8-week Android Mobile App Course, graduated 6, all scholarships from TechWorks